View Single Post
Old 24th August 2011, 21:53   #63  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Fair enough. What is it exactly that you want to do? Apply calibration information from a .cal file to a YCbCr LUT?

If so, it should be a simple process of going through the YCbCr LUT, converting each entry to RGB, running the RGB through the Calibration LUT, then converting the result back into YCbCr.

I can have a program for this running by 0.6, but I can't test it myself. You'll have to check for bugs yourself.
Glad to see that we agree, and I can certainly confirm that SmoothL() provides the most stunning TV>PC conversion I have ever seen...it's like the picture becoming even "deeper" subjectively speaking, and it kills two birds w/ one stone providing 10bit'ish performance within 8bit pipelines too.

Well, atm I use an 8bit VGA connection w/ a 10bit CLUT...so all is well, but soon or later I'll be upgrading to a 40" LCD from SONY/LG(I want at least 4K:1 native CR) so it'll be about a 8bit CLUT on top of a 8bit 3DLUT AFAIK...so ideally I would like Argyll's calibration to be embedded within the 3DLUT.

To avoid all those YCbCr>RGB>YCbCr lossy conversions, ideally I would like to input a 16bit RGB gamut mapping LUT from cr3dlut, merge it w/ a .cal file and output a BT.601/709 8bit YUY2 LUT to use w/ rgb3dlut() in ffdshow.

But this would very much require a "reset CLUT while playing" option in mVR, otherwise it'll end up useless....and maybe the flat screen I'll be buying will have serious 10/12bit calibration options so I won't have to use a .cal kludge anymore

So as I said earlier, it's all sheer brainstorming at this point from my side...still, I know some ppl already requested the ability to merge gamut mapping and .cal files together in order to avoid having the CLUT messing around w/ mVR's dithering, but I dunno how much of a PQ difference it would make. And at the end of the day, adding three 1D CLUT's on top of a 3DLUT is nothing more than a kludge at the price of a dispensable quality loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Can you run inspect3dlut on a YCbCr .3dlut and upload the output somewhere? (Or simply tell me what it reports for the two color encoding fields)
Sorry for lagging behind in the testing department, I will install a W7SP1 VM on my XPSP3 coz updating .net sounds like headaches.

Here's a 0-255 8bit YUY2 LUT from my CRT gamut to SMPTE-C: BT709_SMPTE-C.rar

Last edited by leeperry; 25th August 2011 at 03:03.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote