View Single Post
Old 7th March 2013, 14:10   #14  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
I see. But we were talking about oversampling in ReClock and not about tracks with high sample rates.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Thanks, I know it. So we have found that oversampling is a good thing and will be done anyway in the ReClock or in a DAC.
As we looking for a perfection, we can't avoid the question here: what is the difference? As we know, ReClock provides the different quality options for its own resampling. And what do we know about dac's oversampling algorithm(s)? Hmmm... Is there a chance that ReClock provides a better resampling algorithm?
The quality of the oversampling in the DAC is not relevant in itself: what's important is the overall specifications of the chip. It's easier to think of it as a black box with a datasheet than try to analyze its internal parts (which are not fully specified anyway). Looking at your DAC's datasheet, we can see that with a 48 kHz sample rate (or above), it is flat until about at least 21.7 kHz and its distortion is way below 0.01%. Unless you have additional data that indicate otherwise, in light of these numbers it is fair to say that this DAC does not alter the sound in any audible way, no matter what sample rate you feed it with. So we don't really care if ReClock's oversampling is better than the DAC's or not, as you wouldn't be able to hear the difference.

Regarding ReClock, I don't know what the quality options relate to in terms of lowpass FIR filter length, so it's difficult to answer. We would need to know the windowing function as well. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the difference between the different quality options was extremely difficult (if not impossible) to hear, as it mainly affects the very top end of the frequency response. If you're using the best quality option then it is extremely likely that using a 96kHz output sample rate in ReClock is just a waste of CPU time. It would be possible to verify this by playing a test signal through ReClock and then intercepting it before it gets to the audio output (e.g. using Virtual Audio Cable), but I don't have time to do that.

Last edited by e-t172; 7th March 2013 at 14:12.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote