View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019, 12:04   #1636  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm9656 View Post
In conclusion: choosing FTAB as a standard for encoding 3D MKVs seems the best option for maximum quality output on all equipments (as long as there are no problems related to FTAB on other TVs, but I have not seen any reports about such problems).
Thanks for the info. However, I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion. First, it should be noted that most relatively old 3D TVs (not UHD) do NOT support Full-TAB or Full-SBS. They require the half resolution, because their decoding buffers are just sufficient for 2D Full-HD. When they play a 3D movie, they have to handle two views at the same time, and therefore, they cannot do it in full resolution. Of course, that limitation doesn't exist on UHD TVs, because their buffers are twice as large as what is needed to decode Full-3D.

Also, I must admit that I don't understand why your TV shows the Full-SBS movies with less quality than Full-TAB. IMO, the two views must be cut BEFORE they are processed for the 3D display, and therefore, there is no reason to prefer one method over the other. But I trust your test. Your TV (and perhaps most or all LG TVs) has a problem with Full-TAB. That doesn't mean that the TVs made by other brands have the same problem. If would be nice to compare the two methods with, say, a Samsung UHD TV. I bet that both methods will give equivalent results.

Anyway, BD3D2MK3D offers all possibilities, so you are free to use what gives the best result with your equipment.