View Single Post
Old 19th September 2016, 11:55   #1  |  Link
tsk1979

How to edit where Audio is involved? Any recommended workflow

Hi everyone.
I am back with another question(hopefully its not a "too newbie" question.

I shoot still frames (hundreds of frames), and make timelapse sequences.

A typical sequence is about 15-20 seconds(some may be slightly longer).

Many of these are assembled in an avisynth script.
It may read like this
Code:
a1=ImageSource ("sequence 1")
a2=ImageSource ("sequence 2")

Dissolve(a1,a2,... ) and so on
Next comes music. Using Avidemux the Virtualdub AVI is overlayed with music, because Timelapse without music is kind of Meh.

Typically, many of us amateurs just use a music which goes with the timelapse theme. As in for landscapes, chose something "Cinematic epic". For night sky, choose something "Cinematic mystical",

Now, music being music, has various parts, cresendo's, change in notes and all, and if you can align your change of sequence with change of notes, the impact is much greater

In search of this greater impact I tried doing so, and here is the result
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l54vPtF_7yI

The process for painful.
First I gathered all sequences, and found out effective length when using Dissolve. I assume if I dissolve, I lose 10 frame of length per clip.

I open music in Audacity, and take a not of the times where music changes. Now, I have the freedom to slow down or speed up by less than 1% as it does not make the music sound weird.

With the note on times, and the times of each sequence known, I go for the most optimum order. Its more like the traveling salesman problem.

I assume real professional editors have some sort of audio video console when they go ahead and pad the frames to achieve better alignment, but then, it is not non linear editing?

What to do when you have avisynth and audacity. How do you guys do it. What is the open source workflow for video/audio alignment.

Any tips would be appreciated
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote