View Single Post
Old 9th August 2020, 23:47   #24  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Understood that production and acquisition must be done in LOG or HLG, fine, but what you COULD do is distribute in PQ that's compatible with Dolby Vision Profile 8.1, HDR10+, and HDR10.
Technically yes, but that would require testing from scratch the whole playout ports behavior in all different scenarios and most importantly metadata... Yeah... metadata, which should change according to the content and would have to be included and aired as well and that could create issues as the whole thing would have to be tested again. Just think about ads in between, you would have a movie at a certain amount of nits with a reference display and then an ad with a totally different amount of nits and reference, with its own metadata... It's not exactly easy to do and test, while in HLG almost everybody actually don't air metadata other than the fact that it's HLG and BT2020nc and leave the TV to deal with the incoming feed, but that shouldn't really happen with PQ, which brings yet one added nag.

Quote:
This is all doable today for VOD
Yep, 'cause VOD is a completely different thing, but who would ever encode the same movie or TV Series twice once it has been encoded in HLG already? No one (just like no one would do it in PQ only as playout channels are still in HLG). In other words, it can be done, but no TV Studio does it 'cause it would require two encodes, two mezzanine files and two QCs unfortunately... (but services that are VOD-only and not owned by a TV Company could potentially do it and are doing it already I think). Derek, I don't know if I can ask you directly out of curiosity, but you work for big D, is your + offer in PQ with HDR10? HDR10+? Dolby Vision? HLG? SDR only? Are you dragged behind by linear channels as well?

Quote:
and I think soon for live (tho not sure live HDR10+ is even a thing? Doesn't seem possible to me). Even if it's just HDR10, that works literally everywhere AFAIK.
Well, HLG is not here to last in the very long run, but I think we'll have to live with it for quite some time...

Quote:
I guess, it comes down to -- who do you screw over? Do you screw me over, or the guy with a super expensive first generation UHD TV who, let's face it, has probably already upgraded because he wants HDR!
lol your TV would still recognize the feed as BT2020nc SDR and you would see the same "just barely watchable" feed someone with an old BT2020 SDR UHD TV would see, so none is screwed (or both of you are, depending of the point of view hahahahahaha)

Last edited by FranceBB; 10th August 2020 at 09:10.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote