View Single Post
Old 7th February 2011, 18:00   #12  |  Link
osgZach

Well it's not so much that YATTA can detect Interlaced vs Progressive and all that. It collects metrics from TFM or Telecide (or both) and the big part about YATTA is that it can be a very intensive manual process.. Although it does have tools for trying to match patterns, etc I think most people tend to work it manually and make the needed changes to frames individually, or by marking frame ranges (0 - 100, 150 - 300, etc).

I'm probably not the best person to teach you how to use YATTA though That and I haven't done any work with it for close to a year now.
The big thing is learning to spot pattern changes and mark them accordingly. If you want to be extremely thorough, this means checking every frame in the source file with your own eyes. There really isn't anything that YATTA does that you couldn't do with Avisynth + Virtualdub as a visual aid for writing your script. YATTA just makes it a heck of a lot easier by automating some really boring repetitive tasks

The problem with YATTA is that it has poor /possibly out of date documentation and does not appear to be actively developed. One of the reasons I decided to try writing my own tool. If you are already working on a tool as well, you may do just as well to continue doing that and program the functionality that you specifically want/need. That's what I intend to do at any rate, and why I haven't really used YATTA since.

For what its worth, you can head over to Tritical's web site at http://web.missouri.edu/~kes25c/ and download his TIVTC package. It comes with example files on how to do a 2-pass VFR encode with Timecodes output and the results are usually pretty good. There are also other examples, such as how to call your own deinterlacer of choice, and a few other things. I have never worked with true interlaced sources, so I can't offer any advice on that. But if you are just IVTC'ing some Anime, assuming it hasn't been butchered by edits after Telecining, etc. Than the 2-pass VFR method will likely get you good results. It's dead simple as well, and goes quite fast as long as you are doing heavy filtering. I usually save to a lossless file using the hacked HuffYUV codec that supports YV12 color space. Then do my filtering, then final encode which gets muxed to MKV with the Timecodes TIVTC yields.

Last edited by osgZach; 7th February 2011 at 18:03.
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote