View Single Post
Old 26th March 2003, 14:44   #10  |  Link
Entropy512

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
I've tried a number of tricks for problem .tp files but usually these days I'll just delete the darn things unless I really want it.

But if HDTV2mpeg runs into any problems at all I recommend not bothering to try the output but instead immediately switch to a different method. It is disheartening to get all the way through encoding and then find the audio is not fixable for some reason.

I've gotten so paranoid about break-ups that I mostly record only in the background and not use the computer for anything else until it's over.

Another useful trick in DVD2AVI is to skip the first minute or so if it's a commercial. Do this by hitting the "[" key at the right location. Some (all) HDTV cards cause a couple more break-ups at the beginning as they start recording.

Back when I was using a Hipix card I often would start the recording a minute early just so I could have something to throw away.

- Tom
Thanks for the tips. I typically delete the files after 2-3 failures, but I've been getting more aggressive about it as time goes by and I know more about what almost always works and what never seems to work.

In my case, I think one of the only solutions will be a bigger antenna. Something I need to work on anyway.
Entropy512 is offline   Reply With Quote