View Single Post
Old 14th July 2015, 14:42   #419  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

There are no "best settings". They depends of your needs and the disc space you accept to give to the movie.

The problem is that the BD compatibility flag limits the bitrate. CRF 1 will only produce a huge file (without the BD compatibility flag) and you'll need a big hard disc for each movie you encode! Do you really want that? And if you leave the BD compatibility flag enabled, you will not have a better quality than what the BD standard permits, and therefore CRF 1 is not possible. You cannot have a better quality than the original BD anyway! If you CAN see the difference in CRF 15 or 16 with the original BD, then you're Superman! IMO, only analysis tools can detect the differences with such a low CRF.

You won't get a better quality with 2-pass. 2-pass encoding (and ABR) should be used only if you need to burn the final MKV on a disc with limited space, like a BD or DVD. It is totally useless to do the encoding in a mode that allows you to give the bitrate if the disc space doesn't matter. IMO, CRF mode is much better, as it adapts itself to the complexity of the movie, and you cannot be wrong. Of course if you select a reasonable CRF value.

BTW, many GUIs for x264 limit the CRF value to a reasonable range, like between 18 and 26. I should have made that too, but I prefer to let the user decide. But selecting intentionally a crazy value like CRF 1 doesn't make sense, and I'm beginning to regret my choice.

Last edited by r0lZ; 14th July 2015 at 14:50.