View Single Post
Old 9th February 2015, 14:30   #29  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvholm View Post
@Stereodude: Thanks a lot. You've used higher bitrate, and as should be the case it looks better - when displayed properly. Unfortunately, the much more detailed noise goes all nuts on those TVs with excessive sharpening. My friend suggests that in terms of the noise the poor HDTVs look like VLC w. sharpening cranked up to the second bar. That's just torture, but it's what I'll have to deal with, because it seems like that is what a lot of people are going to see. You'll see that your MTCD-treated version doesn't even cut it. I made a version that seems to have the noise sufficiently controlled via MCTD("high") and high compression on top:
Denoised with MCTD (high)
I prefer the look of your sensibly denoised/compressed version, but I'm afraid I'll have to go harder with noise suppression. Still experimenting...
So I tried all the clips on both of my HDTVs (1 LCD / 1 Plasma) with the Sharpness set to the default of 50 (should be 0). I agree the noise / grain is accentuated by the increased sharpness, but it isn't as bad as your VLC screenshot.

I also played all the clips back with the sharpness properly set. When set correctly I liked the title_crf18_nr.mkv the best. The noise is significantly reduced, but not completely wiped. title_crf18_nr.mkv looked acceptable with the sharpness at 50. There are plenty of commercial blu-ray discs with more noise / grain than it that will have similar problems with noise / grain accentuation by the cranked sharpness. Those sorts of people probably just think there's lots of "detail" in their HD.

I should probably also mention that I sit closer to my TVs than most people. My head is 8.5' from the 64.5" plasma.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote