View Single Post
Old 27th June 2022, 23:53   #253  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Yes, but only some brands and it really depends.
The idea was to cope with missing mandatory info.
Although those values are mandatory for PQ streams, a relatively high number of files spreading all over internet didn't have those and Samsung saw that coming.
To put this into context: I gave to the TV a PQ without metadata other than the fact that it was PQ BT2100 and the TV worked that one out surprisingly well.
When it comes to metadata actually being there, though, it's a different story and I found out that some manufacturers respect them and some other don't and do their thing anyway.
Again this is due to the fact that some of them are just wrong.
On the other hand, I did make a test by giving Samsung a PQ file that was artificially stretched to occupy all the available values from top to bottom and then I told the TV that it was 1000 nits (it wasn't). The result wasn't completely wrong in the sense that the TV did adjust something and recognised that something was wrong, but it still did a fairly poor job cause while some scenes were looking good, some others almost made me blind, especially when red was involved.
Still I'm pretty sure that some TVs do something to correct the result, but can still get it pretty wrong if the value is wrong.

And of course you'll never have any of those issues with HLG, which is also an added benefit of using it.

Last edited by FranceBB; 27th June 2022 at 23:55.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote