View Single Post
Old 15th September 2017, 07:55   #18  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
I like to do what the commercial DVD, BluRay, and broadcast industries do, which is to stick to mod-16 or at least mod-8 frame dimensions. I realize that many eccentric users don't like what the commercial industry does and that they feel some compulsion to re-invent the wheel, but since I've never had a problem playing products produced by the commercial video industry I place more trust in following their lead.
The commercial industry must have breathed a huge sigh of relief when online stores such as itunes arrived. Much of their "1080p" video is actually 1916x1076 or thereabouts, or 1280x716 for "720p" etc.
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...f=19&t=1268043
TV show: only DVD available, no Blu-ray, iTunes HD=what? upscaled?

Quote:
There's an obsession I guess with 4:3 Hollywood movie frames at exact 4:P3 sizes, but Hollywood never shot 4:3 movies except for Tv shows. Hollywood used several aspect ratios since the ancient 1880's, but 4:3 wasn't one of them.
My personal obsession is to make 1.333 the "minimum" aspect ratio. If you only crop the black from many older 4:3 DVDs, you'll often end up with aspect ratios such as 1.32 or 1.30 etc, so I prefer to cop a little picture top and bottom if need be to make it 4:3 again. Wider than 4:3 is even better if possible.

Quote:
No, you can't crop down to a single pixel -- at least, not with YV12. There's a 2-pixel minimum, and with interlace or telecine YV12 there's a 4-pixel minimum vertically.
That part of the conversation was referring to using the Avisynth resizers for cropping. They even accept float as cropping values so they can theoretically do sub pixel cropping.

Last edited by hello_hello; 15th September 2017 at 08:05.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote