View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 01:21   #16  |  Link
ForceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
First, this is just my guess.

I think it is more about subtitle styling or, sometimes, mkv ordered chapter than the video itself that made those encoders (which my guess are fansubbers) discourage VLC. I do not use VLC so I don't know how good it is about these features. I think they (and their QCers) always test the releases against MPC-HC/ffdshow/Haali or CCCP (for Windows) and mplayer (for Mac/Linux) so that's why they recommended it. They probably don't want to answer questions about why it doesn't work in different softwares so VLC is discouraged. The most common question is sub styling goes wrong, I think.

So, if it works for you, I guess then go ahead and use VLC. However, if it doesn't work or something goes wrong, then don't expect them to answer why.
This. I have seen most fansubs discourage VLC nowadays, probably because VLC can't handle animated karaoke, multiposition subs and styles correctly. Meanwhile Haali seems to be the only Matroska splitter which can handle Ordered Chapters which separate the OP and ED from the main video. Correct me if I am wrong on this.
ForceX is offline   Reply With Quote