View Single Post
Old 13th February 2021, 10:00   #2253  |  Link
Trench

Hmmm. I'm seeing the issue again, but it's starting to be difficult to believe.

After my previous post, I processed dozens of files on February 5 through February 7, using StaxRip 2.1.7.0 Stable, without any issue. Source files inside the mountpoint, StaxRip outside the mount point on the SSD, as intended.

Today I went to process more files, and StaxRip advises 2.1.8.0 stable is available. I download and extract to C:\Users\Trench\StaxRip-x64-2.1.8.0-Stable\, on the SSD and outside of the mount point, same as 2.1.7.0 was located.

Maybe it's worth noting that on February 10 Microsoft applied KB4601319 and KB4601050 for Patch Tuesday, but I'm finding it harder to believe that's actually important.

The very first file I attempt to process with 2.1.8.0 Stable fails, with the same "permission denied" and "error 1" as described before.

And, if I launch 2.1.7.0 Stable instead, it still works fine, using the same source file, in the same folder, with the same permissions that fail with 2.1.8.0.

So before, 2.1.7.0 was the failing version, and older versions of StaxRip worked. Now, 2.1.7.0 is the working version, and 2.1.8.0 is what fails. There is some kind of clue in that, but I don't know what.

I think I just need a priest. Logs of each version attempting to "open single file" the same source file are attached, once the attachments are approved, just in case you can see something I'm missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44vince44 View Post
So, @Trench, please check and do the permissions change, or set your paths to locations that you have R/W control on.
In this instance as well, the folder permissions that fail with 2.1.8.0 work just fine as-is with 2.1.7.0. So once again, I would just stipulate that the permissions really aren't blocking successful use of the folder.

But, there is no harm in granting Full Access. Granting Full Access to my user for the folder the source file exists in (and "Replace all child object permission entries...", although the temp file doesn't exist yet) doesn't change the outcome. Still the same permission denied & failure.

See attached screen shot confirming permissions that were set, once the attachment is approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
The only relevant change I remember is changing the current directory of the staxrip process to the video temp folder, this was not long ago. Before the current folder of the staxrip process was usually the startup folder where staxrip is located. That's something a child process inherits.
The test that came to mind for this was to setup StaxRip 2.1.8.0 Stable to run from a directory that was also inside the mount point, instead of being out on the SSD. In case "the current directory being on a different side of that mount point" was somehow the issue.

But that didn't change the symptoms or the failure either. The same "permission denied" and "error 1" happen even with StaxRip running from inside the mount point.

To rule out whether my shortcuts for launching StaxRip were any part of the problem, I also performed all testing this time by directly launching the StaxRip.exe from the program folder by double-clicking in File Explorer. But that didn't change the outcome either.

I don't suppose there is any hacky switch I can set that reverts back to the "keep StaxRip application folder as the current directory" behavior? Or maybe some other test you can think of that I'm ignoring.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: txt StaxRip-x64-2.1.7.0-Stable.log.txt (11.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: txt StaxRip-x64-2.1.8.0-Stable.log.txt (23.7 KB, 149 views)