View Single Post
Old 25th January 2010, 12:22   #5  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Corpus View Post
I added a fixed number of b-frames in my higher res encodings since they actually sped up my encodings while their increasing quality.
Oh dear...
Quote:
--no-mbtree --fast-pskip --no-dct-decimate --keyint=$max-key --keyint-min=$min-key --mixed-refs --deblock 2:2 --bframes 1 --b-adapt 0 --b-pyramid strict --cabac --qpmin 1 --qpmax 51 --qpstep 25 --ratetol 35 --qcomp 0.75 --direct auto --partitions i8x8,p8x8,b8x8 --8x8dct --psy-rd 0.4,0 --trellis 0
Everything bolded here made me want to stab myself with a rusty spoon. If you don't understand why each of those options makes me want to acquire some corroded utensils, you shouldn't be using them.
Quote:
I would like to ask if you guys don't mind helping me refine these settings to make encoding more efficient for compression and speed.
I think you need to throw everything out and settle on one or two simple commandlines with about 1/3 as many options each, because your current options are completely nonsensical. In fact, you could get quite good results simply by dropping every single option listed there.

It is posts like this that make me want to pull a Theora and remove almost all user-facing options completely because if you give someone a button, they will press it. And even after it shoots them in the leg, they'll go limping around for more buttons to press!

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 25th January 2010 at 12:38.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote