View Single Post
Old 19th September 2018, 10:32   #1496  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for understanding.

I agree that most software players can play cropped 3D movies without too many problems. But most 3D TVs (including probably all Samsung TVs) need the full 16:9 picture, as otherwise they stretch it to occupy the whole screen, and of course, the image is terribly deformed. Perhaps you will buy later a 3D TV that will be incompatible with your cropped movies. Too bad!

Also, the 3D subtitles are positioned for the native 16:9 image, and if you crop it, the player doesn't know where they should be positioned. As a consequence, they are usually shown at a wrong position, and it's terrible for 3D subtitles, as they may be "inside" an object in the foreground of the scene. (And if I implement cropping in BD3D2MK3D, I will be forced to add the code to compute the new positions of all subtitles and to modify the subtitle streams accordingly. Useless and tedious job for me.)

Another argument is that displaying 3D is relatively difficult with the cheap processors of most 3D TVs, and 3D requires precise timings, especially for active 3D glasses. The 3D TVs are optimized for a full 16:9 picture, and are often unable to synchronize correctly the two views when the video has been cropped.

There are many other arguments, and last but not least, it is useless to crop the black borders, as they are extremely easy to compress and do not consume much disc space.