View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 00:06   #775  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

For the Exit and Encode option, I really can't understand your point.

Either you tick the option because you want to leave your computer immediately and in that case there is no need to leave the program opened, or you want to prepare another encode and in that case it is not that difficult to double-click the __ENCODE_3D.cmd (or __ENCODE_3D_LOW_PRIORITY.cmd) file manually, since the window is opened automatically by the program at the end of the preparation of the project. And as a benefit, you can have a look at the final dialog to verify easily if everything went fine.

And I disagree on the memory necessary for the encoding. With some encoding options and a moderately powerful PC (with, for example 4GB of RAM), x264 may need some swap space, even when x264 is alone in memory. And when a PC swaps, it becomes extremely slow. If that situation can be avoided simply by closing useless programs, it's certainly a very big advantage. (However, I agree that usually, with standard parameters in Half-SBS or T&B, much memory isn't really necessary.)

Anyway, splitting that option will be just confusing. What is the benefit to exit without launching the encode?

Also, I repeat that originally, that option was not present, and I have added it at the request of an user. But IMO it is important to verify if everything is OK before launching the encoding. Personally, I don't use that option, and I think that it can be removed. So, please don't ask again to modify it, or I may be tempted to simply remove it completely.

Last edited by r0lZ; 25th January 2016 at 00:14.