View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2021, 01:32   #18898  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
Hey guys. Can somebody please clarify how GPU-based encoding works? I have two GPUs in my system, a dedicated Nvidia card and the integrated graphics one that comes with most Intel chips. My question is, does the integrated GPU has any relevance on encoding at all? AMD finally came out with a non-crappy line of CPUs last year that don't have integrated graphics in them. If, for example, I switch to a roughly equivalent AMD CPU, will I lose any performance from not having an integrated graphics chip anymore? Or is it completely unused and the video card alone does all the encoding? This question bugs me from time to time and I never found an answer given by somebody who really knows what they're doing.

A related question, also. Is it possible to dedicate one particular GPU to encoding? RipBot's options don't seem to allow it, but it should be completely doable to choose which GPU you want to be used, right? If so, can this GPU selection option be added in the setting then? Seems like a useful feature with people with multiple cards. Thanks.
Well, GPU encoding uses the available GPU's in your system, generally slower, but it allows for the use of different filters.

And of course CPU encoding uses the CPU, generally a lot faster, and use other filters.

You can specify which does what by using appropriate switches...

check this link for a bit of info (hidden switches) :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...10#post1894410

Quote:
/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /node 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /node 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 3000 /minimize /priority low /node 1 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU
/port 4000 /minimize /priority low /node 1 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-type CPU

Multiple GPU's

/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 0
/port 2000 /minimize /priority low /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 1

and/or

If you are using x264+KNLMeansCL and you also have iGPU (device 0) and dGPU (device 1) then

/port 1000 /minimize /priority low /x264-opencl-device-id 0 /knlmeanscl-opencl-device-id 1
To see what devices you have you need to look in the OpenCL tab (in Settings) of RipBot, it will list your GPU's

Hope this helps a little.