View Single Post
Old 30th January 2012, 21:16   #5  |  Link
rik1138

This is a serious problem with Scenarist SD... I used to work for a company that did a lot of DVD trivia games, and would import HUGE scripts with thousands of PGCs, like what you are doing. They actually used several of the really old SGI versions of Scenarist for these games because you could import these huge scripts in a couple of hours on the SGIs...

They did some testing with the Windows version, and found that it would, literally, take DAYS to import. We just left one going one time over a weekend, and it still wasn't finished Monday morning. It did, eventually, finish but it was determined that we couldn't spend 3+ days waiting for a script to import, so we just kept going with the SGIs...

Also, more than half of the import tests would crash after a day or two. Scenarist (Windows) just isn't designed to handle this... (You can actually run into problems with Scenarist crashing a lot if you just start building projects this big... I think it might have been a memory issue.)

Are you using the newest version? I suppose there's the chance they've sped something up... This was about 3 years ago I think, still using 32-bit Windows limited to 4GB of memory. Might not be as much of an issue on a 64-bit OS.

At the time we were testing this, they (Sonic) had a command-line version of Scenarist just for importing scripts and turning them into Scenarist project files. This was much faster, but it still on the order of a day or more for the one that took a little over 3 days to import normally. I don't think it's something Sonic still develops, and probably wouldn't work with the newer version of Scenarist anyway, but you might ask them about it... I can't remember what it was called though...
rik1138 is offline   Reply With Quote