View Single Post
Old 17th January 2017, 10:56   #1149  |  Link
geheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Thanks for the precisions.
I'm not familiar with Scenarist, but the -7 value seems strange. It seems that Scenarist has adopted the inverse of what is effectively stored in the offset sequence of the final BD, where a negative value means beneath the screen. And a depth of 7 seems pretty small for many BDs. As I wrote above, some 3D-Planes of commercial BDs have some depth values of 40 or even more. But indeed, 7 may be a good starting point.
Negative values in Scenarist result in objects appearing closer to you (in front of the Screen), positive values appear farer away (inside the Screen). I don't know if this is the inverse of what is stored inside the final output...

The value of -7 is just my personal experience. I did quite a few remuxes of 3D Blurays with their according subtitles and a value of -7 was never distracting when watching the movies. Also I noticed that higher values result in more Ghosting effects on some TVs, because of the higher discrepancy between left and right... Ghosting appears often if White objects are on black Background, and this is exactly how subtitles are often displayed.
So, I think you could start testing a bit using -7. I wouldn't take less, but of Course a bit more couldn't be that bad either

Quote:
I remember I've read somewhere that Scenarist can accept .ofs files (with dynamic depths) as well. It's why I've changed the old BD3D2MK3D 3D-Planes file format from .3dp to .ofs (with just an additional header). I've never tried, but the new .ofs files should be compatible with Scenarist and/or other authoring programs or muxers.
Yes Scenarist accepts .ofs files in theory, although I never got it working unfortunately... I don't know why, but if I used an .ofs file for the depth I just got flat Subs all the time, which means not a single depth Setting is applied correctly. I don't know if there is an error in the .ofs from BD3D2MK3D or in Scenarist itself...

Quote:
BTW, I wonder if it is possible to write a little exe that replaces the original values of one or all 3D-Plane(s) in an original MVC stream with modified values. Finding the right SEI messages and replacing the values is certainly possible, but I suppose that some checksums must be modified as well, and that's probably much more difficult. And that doesn't solve the problem of the missing SEI messages in re-encoded streams.
This would be quite interesting! Do you think it is possible to replace the SEI Messages without reencoding?? I always thought this could only be done with reencoding, and using professional Encoders only.
Of Course, if some checksums are applied it wouldn't work that easily, but it certainly would be worth investigating I assume.
Perhaps if we knew how the SEI message Needs to be inserted inside the stream, we could also just add it to FRIM-encoded streams after encoding?!?