View Single Post
Old 29th September 2017, 11:18   #1248  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I don't understand. Indeed, even with a powerful i7 CPU, an encoding speed of 115fps is very fast! And the final file size is also abnormal.

IMO, there is something wrong with the decoding of the video. Have you played the final MKV? Does it contain video, or just black frames? Verify if the end of the movie contains real images too.

I have already noticed that sometimes, x264 encodes the beginning of the movie correctly, but suddenly all encoded frames are totally black, without reason, and up to the end of the movie. I have never understood what is causing that (rare) problem, but that seems related to an x264 bug. Anyway, when that happens, relaunching the encoding is sufficient, and the second time the movie is encoded successfully.

I suspect a problem with the PC going in Sleep mode during the encoding, or something like that. There is a well known x264 bug that makes it fail to encode properly when it wakes up from sleep mode. Do you encode with a portable computer? Are you sure you have launched __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd and NOT directly __ENCODE_3D.cmd ? __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd ensures that the computer will not go to sleep mode during the encoding.

Also, I suggest to use only the CRF encoding mode. It produces ALWAYS a slightly better quality than 2-pass for the same overall bitrate, so 2-pass should be used ONLY when the final file size must be precisely controlled (for example to burn the MKV on a DVD). Since the CRF mode requires only a single pass, it has less chances to encounter a problem, and it works very well.

Also, are you sure that the original BD has been properly decrypted? You cannot encode directly the original protected BD.

Anyway, I did Wonder Woman without problem myself, so it should not be a problem to encode it.

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th September 2017 at 13:02. Reason: typo