View Single Post
Old 6th June 2011, 21:58   #11  |  Link
Mikey2

I have never owned an AVCHD Camcorder; however, I do run an 8600 GT graphics card and use it all the time to watch HD movies.

With only 256MB of GPU memory on the 8600 I found that doing hardware decoding/rendering of HD material is pushing it at best (your screenshots with the GPU-Z values attest to that.)

HOWEVER, I just found out that if I use software decoding instead of hardware decoding, suddenly all of my HD files now play flawlessly! Take a look at your GPU-Z screenshots (both of them) - Notice that the "Video Engine Load" is running at 91%. Well, once I switched to software decoding, that line on my graph is *0%* (!!!)

Now, as far as going into details on how to do this, that gets somewhat tricky depending on the flexibility of your display methods and how much you know about this stuff. If you can play this using DirectShow Filters/Codecs similar to what we use for h.264 and/or BluRay movies, then I can show you how to do this. (For instance, I use Media Player Classic-HC with LAVSplitter, ffdShow, and MadVR...the trick is that I stopped using my CoreAVC/Cuda hardware-decoding filter, and instead just let ffdshow do the decoding with ffmeg-mt via software decoding. In addition, I do NOT use DXVA. There is absolutely no difference in quality - video decoding is simply a mathematical algorithm that is identical regardless of it's being done on the CPU or the Graphics card. (Moreover, due to the limitations to DXVA, one can make the picture look better given the extra flexibility when not using DXVA.)

Overall, software decoding just balances out the work and lets the CPU do the decoding while leaving the GPU to simply do the rendering.

I am not sure how far off I am nor how much you know about this stuff....I hope this makes sense. Personally, after having so many problems similar to yours, I was ecstatic to learn that via this method I do not need to buy a new Video-Card.

I am happy to continue to try to help if you would like...

Good luck!
MikeY
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote