View Single Post
Old 6th June 2017, 15:48   #19  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJCZP View Post
manolito, I check your script slightly, I understand that for b_sensitivity to work b_strategy must be set to 1 on the first pass.
I don't know, but so far I was under the impression that for the first pass most advanced parameters are not needed. The passlog file just gives a compression curve to the second pass (i.e. provides info about the compressibility of the source), and the b_sensitivity param in the second pass should not depend on the b_strategy param in the first pass. But maybe I am wrong...

Just saw that my second pass params use "-g 12 -bf 2". Doesn't this override any "b_sensitivity" param?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJCZP View Post
manolito, the Fox New matrix is the one that provides the highest quality with high bitrates?
This is one of the weirder things about these HQ params. The Fox New matrix comes from manono who extracted it from a commercial DVD, and it eats even more bitrate (and provides better details) than the classic Fox Home Theater matrix. And convential wisdom tells that this is a High Bitrate matrix.

When I was working with Fishman on the original XHQ parameters I suggested to use a matrix designed for lower bitrates, but his tests showed that the MPEG Adapted matrix worked better even for very low bitrates. And in the DVDStyler forum a member SilverSolver found that the Fox New matrix gave even better results than the MPEG Adapted matrix. So I made the Fox New matrix the standard for these XHQ params, and so far I found the results very good (and I got no complaints from forum members).

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 6th June 2017 at 16:17.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote