View Single Post
Old 12th December 2008, 00:39   #1  |  Link
nnezz

How to set/edit the PAR in MPEG files?

My NTSC camcorder produces MPG files with resolution 704x480, intended for 16:9 AR.

Unfortunately when I try to encode them, the aspect ratio is reported to the encoding tool (handbrake in this case) as 2.32.

That's way too wide, and results in the output files also having the Pixel Aspect Ratio set incorrectly.

Instead of messing around at the encoding stage, how can I correct the PAR of my source files? Is there some kind of tool that allows setting the correct aspect ratio to 16:9?

edit: If I use MPlayer or VLC to display the source MPG files I get the ultra wide stretched look. If I use MPC, it actually displays with the correct aspect ratio, until I switch off "Override Aspect Ratio" in which case it also displays the ultra wide image.

edit2: I found a program called "restream" that supposedly can change mpeg stream tags. I demuxed my mpeg file, ran the m2v through restream with new aspect ratio set, and the result is a bit-for-bit similar file. Obviously, it doesn't work as intended, unless I'm using it wrongly.

edit3: If I use restream to set a 1:1 aspect ratio, ALL the players display the file correctly, as in squeezed dvd-like format. However, if I set the flag to 16:9, I get the identical file from edit3, where the players all display it way too wide. It's really odd.

Last edited by nnezz; 12th December 2008 at 03:09. Reason: add more info
nnezz is offline   Reply With Quote