View Single Post
Old 10th June 2021, 16:34   #41  |  Link
nhw_pulsar

Hi,

Just a quick message as I finally could test VVC intra image compression thanks to Jamaika's bpgenc_jvetvvc and DecoderApp then I use IrfanView to convert the yuv420 file to bmp image.

For now there is a slight discoloration (colorspace slight mismatch between bpg and IrfanView), so hope that it does not distort too much the evaluation... but however it can give a first idea/review of VVC intra.

For now I have just tested on 10 high quality images I have at NHW -l9 high compression setting, and for me (and again only for me) NHW is visually competitive with VVC intra at high compression, as for me NHW performs very well on these images but VVC intra is also very good.

I just tested on 2 images at -l13 compression setting, and I think that VVC intra starts to be very impressive at very high/extreme compression.

For the complexity, JVET VVC (VTM) takes in average 60sec to encode and 55ms-85ms to decode to yuv420, and totally unoptimized NHW takes 30ms to encode and 15ms to decode (VVC VTM has SIMD, and I also think multithreading).

But again globally, VVC intra seems very good notably visually, which is also in a way normal given the time it takes to compute!...

Cheers,
Raphael
nhw_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote