View Single Post
Old 17th August 2020, 00:27   #39  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoh View Post
You should provide evidence when making baseless claims that impugn others' work.
Well, when I tried it years ago it wasn't doing any kind of mapping, it was just wrongly displaying the data on SDR displays, outputting both BT2100 PQ and BT2020nc HLG without taking into account their color curve nor their color matrix (i.e grey-ish).

VLC: https://imgur.com/JktOMOt
MPV: https://imgur.com/ky2Kg6k

You can clearly see that VLC got it wrong and that it shouldn't really be displayed that way on SDR displays...
I gotta say that I don't have it installed anymore, so I don't know whether things improved or not, but I can say that MPV definitely applies the tone-mapping when it has to display HDR on an SDR monitor (and it did it years ago as well, while VLC didn't).

Quote:
What does "kinda sloppy" mean here? Can you show it with screenshots?
Well, it's kinda hard to do it with screenshots 'cause they would look ok. What I mean by "sloppy" is that when I try it with 1000 nits HLG files without metadata (other than the fact that they're HLG and BT2020nc 10bit) that have frequent transitions between a scene with high lights and low lights, it struggles. When I was watching Riviera, for instance, there was a fairly dark room with sharp lights every few meters. When Cherry was walking and was not under the light, the picture was going to dim while, as she walked under the light, the picture was going all the way up to the maximum brightness allowed by SDR. This is fine, however imagine a person walking with the monitor going bright, dark, bright, dark, bright, dark all the time in a matter of seconds with the whole scene (not just the main character) changing (including the background). I never noticed such a thing with PQ with metadata in which a compromise between being "under the light" and "not under the light" was chosen and it was much "easier" to watch and way less stroboscopic. The absence of scene-referred metadata might play a very big role in some contests, especially with SDR monitors watching an HDR content which is supposed to be viewed on an HDR display. This of course doesn't really mean that the HLG tone-mapping of MPV is bad nor that the developers didn't do a good job; heck, the tone-mapping it's good and I don't even know whether it can be improved much further given that HLG doesn't have metadata, but I just pointed out that in my personal experience MPV generally behaves better with PQ files with metadata than it does with HLG ones without metadata and with very high spikes in terms of nits on some scenes.

Quote:
When someone resorts to rhetoric we have to question their confidence in their technical arguments.

Don't mean to be harsh.
lol, no problem at all, when I say things they're always based on my own personal usage and on what I found out in my examples, not as "absolute statement" or "dogma". They're definitely open to discussion. So... even if I don't specify anything, always take them as my personal point of view

Last edited by FranceBB; 17th August 2020 at 00:32.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote