View Single Post
Old 11th September 2020, 07:18   #46  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

I finally got to watch my encodes on a HLG display, a Samsung from either this year or last. It was absolutely abysmal. The TV correctly detected the gamma curve as HLG, and I disabled the TV's enhancements for everything, but it just looked bland and washed out.

Luminance

I could see the TV continually adjusting the brightness level depending on the average luminance of the frame being shown. I'm not understanding why it wouldn't just apply tone mapping similar to VLC and MPV, although much less aggressively. The tone mapping used would depend on what the TV's brightness is set to. The higher the brightness setting, the more quickly specular detail gets compressed. This...shouldn't be hard.

Color

I don't know how to describe this other than "underwhelming."

HEVC Decode

On my PC, the HEVC decoding is exceptional. For movies where I instructed x265 to preserve grain, that comes through nicely. Whereas with this television, each frame seemed more like a matte painting. I wasn't quite sure what I was even looking at or how messed up the decode filtering would have to be to produce this result.

This isn't the result I was looking for. My converter only does linear brightness adjustment followed by gamma conversion. That's it.

Last edited by wswartzendruber; 11th September 2020 at 07:21.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote