View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 23:25   #780  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I understand your wish for some kind of zoom feature within the full video, but I don't think it's a good idea. Except in some very rare circumstances, the black borders are present only in one direction, not both. Usually, the black borders are horizontal (for Cinemascope movies), and sometimes vertical (for old 4:3 movies). But (almost) never in the two directions. Therefore, if you want to crop the borders AND maintain the full aspect ratio, you will have to cut important parts of the image (for example the left and right sides of a Cinemascope movie), and if that can work well for some shots, that may be very bizarre elsewhere.

In fact, you want to do something like pan&scan, but without the pan! The effect will be terrible, unless you cut only a very small portion of the image. And if you cut only some pixels, the advantage on small TVs is lost. Pan&Scan is one of the worst invention ever, and if it has been used often in USA (only!), it is now abandoned almost completely, luckily! So, again, I don't want to encourage peoples to revive such butchering.

Note also that the left and right borders are sometimes intentionally not vertical in 3D movies, to minimize the effect of the cut of the foreground objects near the border of the TV. If you crop the movie, you will lose that advantage.

And I have also a technical argument. Since currently it is not possible to seek in the MVC video, I cannot easily do a GUI for the user. He will have to cut the borders simply by defining margins of a certain number of pixels or a certain percentage of the image, but without the possibility to see the result. Therefore, that will be too bizarre and complex to be appreciated by most users.

Anyway, if your intention is really to crop and enlarge a part of the image to keep the original AR and size unchanged, it is easy to modify the avisynth script to do it yourself. You can add the Crop() and *Resize() commands on the left and right views, and you'll get the zoom you want. That's really simple, if you know some basis of avisynth scripting. I can help you if you wish. So, sorry again, but I don't think I'll do that in the GUI, especially because I'm sure you're alone wanting that feature, despite what you think.

Thanks for your positive appreciation about the memory usage of BD3D2MK3D, but the memory is not the sole argument against the split of the Exit and Encode option. I have explained them several times, and I don't want to do it again.