View Single Post
Old 19th May 2020, 21:18   #1  |  Link
samf88

Nasty noise on a bad DVD transfer

Hi, hope someone out there can help me out.

I've ripped a DVD which looks shockingly bad and I was hoping there was something I could do to clean it a little. I fear it's too far gone and I'd end up decimating what little detail there is, but maybe there's a magic filter chain out there that's perfect for making this situation slightly more bearable? I think this will be one of those shows that was edited on video so a lot of the damage may be permanent.

I've been dabbling with MDegrain3 which does clear up small parts of the picture on default settings, but everything else (such as TBilateral, VagueDenoiser, RemoveGrain) has to be ramped up to insane settings to even touch the sides of this awful noise, probably because each speck is massive. Does it have a name? I thought originally it was chroma noise, but now I'm not so sure.

This is a particularly bad frame, just using MPEG2Source and QTGMC's Very Slow preset.

Here's a video excerpt cut from the VOB, incase it's easier to identify frame-by-frame: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sr...fF7Rj8qShxhu3h

If anyone can shed some light - or even recommend a filter/chain that may help in some way - I'd really appreciate it. This show has a very special place in my heart and I wish it was treated better for its (now out of print) DVD release.

I use AVISynth+ 64 bit, if that matters.
samf88 is offline   Reply With Quote