View Single Post
Old 29th December 2018, 10:23   #23  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Hello. For my many, many Matroska videos (MKV), I use the following below. Though Matroska I believe has two unique metadata: the quite limited HEADER tags and the apparently unlimited embeddable XML tags.

1. JMkvpropedit (uses MKVToolNix's mkvpropedit.exe CLI, and latest v1.4.3 requires JRE up to v10.0.1)

To BATCH add/edit Matroska HEADER tags (not embedded XML tags). Can also embed attachments. Very handy, time saver. Note though, JMkvpropedit is more useful to "add" Header tags. To delete existing Header tags, it's more useful to use MKVToolNix GUI's Header Editor (see below).

2. Mp3tag

To BATCH add/edit/delete Matroska embedded XML tags (not HEADER tags). Conveniently, it would also include XML tags connected to the Chapters if the video has such. Thus no need to create an external XML file from scratch anymore. So far Mp3tag can not yet embed or remove existing Matroska covers, but it can display them. Very handy, time saver.

3. chapterEditor

To further add/edit/delete and make corrections to those embedded XML tags (not Header tags). Can also handle Chapters. Best tool to connect or correct the UID's of the XML tags and the Chapters. Just very, very powerful.

4. MKVToolNix GUI's Header Editor

To individually add/edit/delete/embed or make corrections to covers, attachments, and Header tags (not XML tags). Can also handle Chapters. Best tool to connect the UID's of the XML tags (which were added/edited by Mp3tag/chapterEditor earlier) to the multiple embedded covers for example. Very powerful.

I also recommend to re-mux the Matroska (MKV) files using MKVToolNix after editing their tags/covers/attachments (especially Header tags) with JMkvpropedit (since it relies on MKVToolNix's mkvpropedit.exe) and especially MKVToolNix GUI's Header Editor.

For example, the embedded XML tags and covers would not be shown by MediaInfo anymore, and sometimes Avidemux would have difficulty seeking with such edited MKV files. But after re-muxing with MKVToolNix, such issues are gone.

Last edited by Wakaku; 29th December 2018 at 10:26.
Wakaku is offline   Reply With Quote