View Single Post
Old 16th August 2020, 02:16   #9  |  Link
manolito

Yeah, you are not the first one to call me "exotic"...

Of course I do own a streaming box (Xtreamer Sidewinder) connected to my old CRT TV which handles AVC HD clips just fine (It does not handle HEVC, but I do not care for HEVC anyways). And I own 3 medium age Thinkpads (T410, T510, T530) with Core i5 CPUs which handle pretty much everything I throw at them.

But I am a person who tends to get attached to technical things just as much as to human beings. My ancient desktop Big Tower machine is originally from 1993, most components have been replaced several times, but it still has its original power supply, and it still boots from a 5.25" floppy. The mainboard is from 2001, and there is no upgrade path since it is a Baby AT. But it is by far the most reliable computer I ever owned, and I will keep it as long as possible.

Compared to modern computers its power consumption is very low, and it has not the slightest tendency to overheat during days like these (almost 30° Celsius room temperature).

I already mentioned my CRT TV set which I will not replace by a modern LCD or OLED just for its natural skin tones. My motorcycle is a Yamaha XJ 900 from 1991, it has 180.000 KM on its odometer without any major repairs. I just came back from a week long trip to Austria, Italy and Switzerland driving beautiful passes in the Alpes. Needless to say that I will keep this bike as long as I can get parts.

My point is that I do not feel that I am missing anything by clinging to my old stuff. Call me "exotic" if you want...

Last edited by manolito; 16th August 2020 at 16:05.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote