View Single Post
Old 20th June 2018, 19:35   #9  |  Link
WorBry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Would be good to go if I somehow fixed the skylight.
It's a pain to workaround that's for sure.

Quote:
Some ideas I'm thinking about:
adding another gauge to desaturate overflows (turns something very bright into white)
adding 3-way thing with adjustable split points (it seems a fixed split is not enough)
producing alpha mask at some point and applying it to secondary filter (too much complexity begins)
Adding 3-way control to the '6-axis' filter with definable ranges for Shadows, Mid-tones and Highlights, would be a great option to have.

Resolve has two sets of ('4-way') color wheels - the 'Primary Wheels' that operate through Lift, Gamma, Gain and (master) Offset, and the 'Log Wheels' that operate on definable Shadow, Mid-Tone, Highlight domains (plus master 'Offset'); there's no Mid-Tone range setting per se - that is automatically adjusted when the Shadow and Highlight domain ranges are defined. They are called 'Log Wheels' because the flexibility in control makes them particularly well suited for grading log gamma footage - they are just as useful for 'linear' video.

This article by Alex Van Hurkman gives a nice overview of differences in the control modalities applied to color tools with similar names in different software and clarifies the sometimes confusing terminologies associated with them:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/whats-in-a-name/

Quote:
... adding another gauge to desaturate overflows (turns something very bright into white)
….could be useful in this context, but I think you'd want control over the degree of desaturation - might not always be desirable to turn to pure white.

Quote:
What is the soft-clip you are talking about, is it a tweak in Channel Mixer? What it does?
In Resolve it's part of the curves tool set. Allows you to create a custom smooth roll-off to a set clip point, instead of 'hard' clipping. This is the 'soft-clip' I applied in that 'Cave' clip grade.

The scopes are scaled for 10-bit.

There are separate 'soft-clip' controls for Highlights and Shadows, but options to apply the 'soft-clip' to the RGB channels individually or ganged together. Very useful tool.

Resolve also has a dedicated Soft-Clip LUT generator, allowing the soft-clip to be applied via a LUT in the node workflow. Typical use might be when you are grading full range footage at full 'Data' levels but want to render out at 'Video' (Limited, 'broadcast-safe') levels - it offers an alternative to hard-clipping (limiting) or compression.

I used it in this context because the channel mix was increasing the net gain and crushing more of the highlights in the aura around that 'skylight', so producing a more diffuse light beam. Bringing those values down with a hard clip caused marked color variegation - the values in the centre of the opening were of course already blown (clipped) in the original footage. Applying the 'soft-clip' helped to create a smoother transition gradient and at the same time brought near-blown highlights down to a level that I legitimately could use as neutral reference. It meant though that there was a limit to which I could 'tighten' the spread of the light beam (closer tp the original) - anymore than I did and the yellowish discoloration would be much more stronger. Selective desaturation of the offending color would mitigate that, but I decided not to apply it in Resolve because there's no equivalent tool in VDub2.....yet

Attempting the same technique in VDub2 using RGB (gradation) curves to create the 'soft-clip' is proving tricky. Need to get the curve gradient just right, and avoid adding contrast, which only makes it worse. Best results so far are when the soft-clip is applied before the Channel Mixer in the filter sequence, which makes sense - once crushed (clipped) up at 255 that 'super-white' data can't be recovered - in Resolve it can, so it doesn't matter if the 'soft-clip' is applied after the channel mix.

Quote:
Re: cineform does Resolve always export full range? I saw no obvious flag in SDK to realize full/limited range. Can you export this same frame as cineform?
Resolve gives the option to export at Full (Data) or Limited (Video) range, but has some querks when it comes to full range flagging and import interpretation of some formats. With Cineform (now using the native SDK implementation) it does not appear to apply any flags, whether exporting as AVI or MOV. If you render out at Full (Data) levels and import the file back into Resolve it 'auto' interprets it as 'Video' levels and you have to manually set-it to 'Full'. Other formats like DNxHR are flagged and interpreted 'correctly'.

Not surprising then that VDub2 doesn't register any full range flag with these Resolve Cineform exports either. Not a big deal. Just something to be aware of....and remember.

Last edited by WorBry; 21st June 2018 at 18:53.
WorBry is offline   Reply With Quote