View Single Post
Old 18th September 2008, 14:57   #207  |  Link
Turtleggjp

To be honest, I think that the decoding on the GPU is a neat idea, but in the end should be an option for those with the right hardware who want to try squeezing a little more speed out of their encodes. I'm concerned though that eventually the limitations of DXVA on these cards may begin to hinder this great program's ability to work. I agree that the PAFF accuracy is nice (haven't gotten to try it myself yet though) but I know how difficult it can be sometimes to make hardware based tasks like this work consistently. The thought of only one instance at a time is scarry too, as I sometimes do more than one encode at once, or may in the future be reading from more than one source at once (doing a fade between two of my camera's clips comes to mind).

Bottom Line: I feel that hardware acceleration is better for realtime critical applications (playback). However for applications like transcoding, a pure software solution is better, since speed is nice, but not critical, and it can grow as needed without being as you say "cast it silicon."

edit: That de-interlaced footage does look nice! Does it change the fps to 60 like DGbob does? (assuming of course the source was 30i).

Last edited by Turtleggjp; 18th September 2008 at 15:05.