View Single Post
Old 15th April 2016, 04:07   #20  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
I believe that Skylake is the first chipset to support 10-bit HEVC decode, so perhaps it's the first that might support 10-bit encode. But I don't actually know if it does.

I don't see any near-term change in the fundamental rule that HW and GPU based encoding can be great to get decent quality quickly or with low power, but that high-quality/efficiency encoding is primarily going to be done on CPU. There are some things about HEVC that may make GPU accelerated encoding more feasible than with H.264, but there are also lots more logical choices between the many more different ways to do things that need to be made, which happen on the CPU.

I'm more excited about AVX-512 to improve encoding speed (and thus allow higher quality with the same performance). It won't do much for H.264, but should be quite helpful with HEVC.
Well, for some, it is all speed and quality regardless of file size (how much does 4TB HDD cost anyway?)

The only problem I have with hardware based encoder is the standard support. I was planning to buy new budget Skylake CPU to replace my old Pentium Dual Core E5700. But after reading Intel response about B-frame.......I kinda hesitate...

https://software.intel.com/en-us/for...k/topic/623600

So, what is Low Delay B-frames (LDB) or Generalized P/B (GPB) ???
JohnLai is offline   Reply With Quote