View Single Post
Old 29th May 2016, 09:27   #998  |  Link
Sxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Welcome to the Doom9 forums, Sxc!

The SAR has been changed in v0.86. It is now 1:1 for all frame packing modes (Full and Half SBS and T&B). It seems that it's the best SAR to use with the vast majority of players. It's the conclusion of a long discussion and many tests (starting with this post).

Do you have a problem with the new setting? AFAIK, as soon as you switch to 3D mode (or the TV switches automatically to 3D mode), the SAR should be ignored and the aspect ratio should be correct. At least, it's what happens with my Samsung TV.

If your TV does not display the movie correctly, try to change Settings -> Full-SBS/T&B aspect ratio. And if that doesn't work, you can edit the __ENCODE_3D.cmd script and change the --sar option manually.

I will consider that suggestion. But take in mind that the 10 or 12 color bit modes are not compatible with many hardware players and/or graphic cards. But I agree that reducing the banding artefacts is a good thing if it works for you. Banding remains certainly the most noticeable problem of the videos encoded in h264 or h265.
Thanks for the reply - given the settings I use (CRF20, veryslow, main10) I didn't want to wait for a movie complete to find there was an issue, when my current encodes finish I will do a 3D trailer and see how that plays back, I'm only concerned about playback on my LG 4K OLED via Xplay (plex client). If it works fine I'll leave it at 1:1 too.