View Single Post
Old 18th February 2023, 23:07   #364  |  Link
DMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Slower is the fastest preset where some of of HEVC's more modern features kick in, like relatively deep TU recursion, weighted b-frame prediction, and B-intra encoding. It's the setting I start with by default, and iterate from. It has somewhat reduced parallelism (lookahead-slices 1 instead of 4), so might not be as optimal for benchmarking with many cores available.

Apples-to-apples comparisons can't rely on just presets, however. The number of frame threads can have a big impact on perf and a smaller impact on quality, and the default number of frame threads is based on how many cores are available. Thus comparing two processors with different core counts can see the processor with more cores running with more frame threads, improving encoding speed but potentially reducing quality. So not quite apples-to-apples.

Benchmarking is hard to do in a broadly applicable way, because there are so many encoding scenarios that can impact relative performance. Comparing at slow with default frame threads is certainly a scenario that will matter to plenty of people. For me, comparing with --preset slower --frame-threads 1 would have the most relevance. Benchmarking for realtime encoding would be very different, as predictable worst-case encoding time becomes essential. Plenty of benchmarks just compare with stock default settings.

I see you are comparing with --pmode (makes good sense if you have a lot of cores relative to frame size, but can slow things down if there aren't enough cores) and --pme (which is a net negative unless you have a whole lot of cores encoding sub-HD resolutions).

I consider it "fair" to use --pmode if it is only used when it increases throughput in a given configuration, and turned off when it doesn't. As --pmode doesn't decrease quality (and can theoretically increase it a bit).

The same can apply to using --pme selectively, although the cores needed to make it a net positive are a lot higher. But for 480p with 64 cores or something, it probably would help. I personally rarely test with more than 18/36 available for any given encoder instance. Although with all the ARM patches, Graviton2/3 with 64 cores deserves some benchmarking as well.
After your comprehensive answer, I apologize for this inexperienced question.
Taking into account that my CPU (Ryzen 7950) has 16C/32T, to perform x265 encoding of 4K HDR files, I disabled "pmode" should I also disable "pme" from my script to avoid long encoding time or how could I improve my script?
Thank you very much

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--crf 16 --preset slower --output-depth 10 --profile main10 --level-idc 5.1 --rd-refine --vbv-bufsize 100000 --vbv-maxrate 100000 --hme-search umh,umh,star --hme --min-keyint 1 --keyint 24 --no-open-gop --pme --master-display "G(8500,39850)B(6550,2300)R(35400,14600)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)" --colorprim bt2020 --colormatrix bt2020nc --transfer smpte2084 --range limited --max-cll "1000,400" --sar 1:1 --no-info --repeat-headers --aud --hrd --uhd-bd
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by DMD; 19th February 2023 at 16:35.
DMD is offline   Reply With Quote