View Single Post
Old 19th January 2023, 14:43   #19924  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlev11 View Post
The only time in my experience that you have to worry about knocking down cpu cores or avisynth threads is when you start getting into doing 4k encoding and specifically 4k encodes that are full screen aspect ratio (1.78:1 or even 1.85:1). There is something with encoding all those extra bits that I have found that the 16 core Ryzens really have an issue with those. I can't speak to the latest Intel i-9's as I don't have any of those. Not sure how the whole P and E cores effect encoding 4k, you may have to just do some testing.

When doing those 4k encodes with everything set full out on a 3950/5950/7950, The encoding speed takes a nose-dive to point where they are about 1/2 the speed of a 12 core 3900x or 5900x. Something gets overloaded with all those threads and they just can't handle it. This is where using either affinity mask or avi-synth thread setting knocking them down to only use 12 cores or threads is necessary. Even with cores or threads turned off, they will still out-perform their 12 core brothers.

I posted some quick tests a while ago that showed me that once I set the avisynth prefetch to 12, that it did not slow down or speed up doing regular 1080 or 720 encoding, but made the 4k stuff run as they should which is why I just use that setting now for everything.
I wonder what happens if you downgrade your 7950 to 7700 by disabling one CCD in BIOS. Will you still experience the same problem with 4k working terrible with 8 threads (or 16)?
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote