View Single Post
Old 30th November 2022, 16:15   #1  |  Link
Easy

Naiv Question: Supercharge x264

This question may be naiv , but still I would like a professional answer to it if possible

Question is: Why not optimize x264 code with x265 code.
So here is the naiv part: x265 is e.g. known for using more and bigger partitions than x264. For example 32x32 and 64x64 , but why not use something like 'group of partitions' in x264 ; for example use four 8x8 to get 32x32.
Using more fake CTU parts in Macroblocks is only an example, may not be useful in the real world but atleast something that can be tested. Also there may be DCT optimizations that could be ported.
Also should it technical be possible to use CABAC and CAVLC simultaneous to reduce decoding spikes.
I know that one can not touch the decoder side of things as it should stay compatible with existing decoders. So not to many 'features' can be ported without changing also how to decode them.

An answer from especially people how looked at the source code would be very helpfull. I don't know c++ or asm, but I know how a function looks and some rough porting theory. So maybe this could be my weekends hobby for the next year or so.

Last edited by Easy; 30th November 2022 at 17:51.
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote