View Single Post
Old 29th November 2018, 16:18   #100  |  Link
Khun_Doug

I stopped using the newer builds of StaxRip and have stayed with 1.7.0.6 for handling the encodes that need mClean. I updated all the plug-ins to the latest, including choosing the options with AVX2 support, when that is available. I only use the 64 bit version of AVSPmod and VirtualDub2, and obviously StaxRip is 64 bit. I did forget to mention that I also use PreFetch of 8. That value will need to change depending on your CPU. That moves it along quite nicely. This is all done with AVS. What I noticed with the VS version of mClean was it immediately saturated all processors and the screens rendered so slow, perhaps 1 1/2 per second. I want to emphasize the marked difference in defaults in VS to AVS. In AVS you can hold the step forward button and the video updates fast enough that it looks like a motion picture. The same evaluation in VS renders updates so slowly, all while saturating the CPU. And the filter completely softened the image. The ability to see individual strands of hair disappears, that's how much detail is lost. And this test was done within the last month, and using StaxRip 2.0.0.0. Incidentally, I am a Python code writer so I know my version of Python is working properly.

I just figure that until I need HDR support I will stay with rev 1.7.0.6 and maintain the plug-ins myself. It's easy enough to update x265. Since the filters I need are already working, there isn't any reason to fuss with it. I'll let version 2.xxxx move along until I move into stuff that needs HDR and then revisit the issues at that point.

I will say I am pleased to no end to see StaxRip staying alive. The effort is greatly appreciated.