View Single Post
Old 25th August 2022, 16:45   #108  |  Link
Cyber Akuma

Sorry, still trying to understand all this. Are you saying those few lines are all I need in my entire KEYDB.cfg? Or that I should add those on top of what is in the existing latest KEYDB.cfg?

I was trying to test this out, and I had zero issues playing 1080p Blu-Rays (after I downgraded Java because the latest version crashes VLC if you enable menues) but any 4K disk I try gives me "AACS Host certificate revoked".

I admit, I wasn't aware of this key revoking thing, because the first 4K Blu-Ray I tried was a movie that JUST came out on disk, Sonic 2. Then I tried a random movie I had from 2018, the first Avengers movie, and that one still gives me the error. Did I permanently cripple my drive or something by attempting to play a newer movie and now it's been disabled/revoked? It's not clear to me if revoked means it just simply won't play newer disks that use a newer cert, or if the entire ability for my drive/PC to play 4K Blu-Rays has been revoked now. Since it won't even play that 2018 movie I worry it's just completely revoked the UHD ability of my system. I would have assumed that the MakeMKV firmware/VLC would at least not honor disabling itself like that for older disks that it has/had the certs for.

And if a new cert comes out, would attempting to play a movie with a newer cert revoke it again and then no 4K movies will again be playable until another new one comes out? Is that how it works? Or can I never even add a new cert again and have it work now that it's been revoked?