View Single Post
Old 29th January 2016, 00:32   #786  |  Link
frank
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
I will certainly NEVER implement a crop feature for 3D output. It's a total absurdity. The 3D video standard IMPOSES the 16:9 aspect ratio. And the 3D clips must be in HD. So, ONLY 1920x1080 and, to some extent, 720x1280 are legit for 3D clips. Many TVs do not support other aspect ratios at all, or they deform the image horribly to restore a full-screen display (like my Samsung). And anyway, probably all 3D TVs are optimised to play the 3D features in full HD, and are much less good when they must play butchered 3D videos...

I add that cropping the black bars is not really a gain of disc space, because the pure black can be compressed extremely well, and therefore it is really a bad idea to sacrifice quality and compatibility just for a few MBs of disc space.

In short, cropping the 3D videos is unfortunately a common mistake, and I will certainly not encourage peoples to do it.
Right! As a professional I have to agree. 3D standard and acceleration chips need uncropped sizes like 1920x1080.

BTW
If you resize a 1080p BD to 2160p for the 4k LG TV you never get more resolution! Sharpness stays on the source res 1080. No need to resize a BD, modern 4k TVs can scale up.
Much more important is a good 3D player. Built-in players of TVs are very stupid and mostly accept only standard 3D stuff.

Last edited by frank; 29th January 2016 at 13:46.