Thread: On2 VP8
View Single Post
Old 14th September 2008, 09:16   #12  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittaire View Post
Well I make test at this period (you too?) and VP7 was by far faster to decode if you compare with H264 (coreAVC not available).
I did a test a while ago and the VP7 from On2's site was 5% slower than ffdshow (original, not tryouts) H.264 at the same time. I used default decoding settings. The quality varied depending on source, but mostly it appeared as if the video was extremely oversmoothed and then drastically oversharpened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittaire View Post
I would add that you routinely denigrates the work of others. It is a bad habit.
When people outright lie to promote crappy software, I have every right to call them on their BS. Its not "denigrating the work of others" if their work is awful. And its generally safe to assume that, given the history of random companies coming out with proprietary formats that are all claimed to be X% better than H.264, that these are crap unless proven otherwise. And by "proven otherwise" I mean "a fair test done by somebody with no vested interest in the proprietary format."

If I had a dollar for every company promoting their format as "far better than H.264" that then turns out to be a joke, I'd be rich. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and On2 has provided neither.

It doesn't help my expectations that, in their entire history as a company, On2 has never come out with a format significantly better than those existing on the market (at least as far as I know). Right now, they seem to be rather desperate given that their only popular product, VP6, has been rendered obsolete by Adobe.

Also, I find it rather insulting that you imply I always denigrate the work of others. If you look at my responses to things like CoreAVC, the DivX encoder and decoder, and other such products, I am fully receptive to them. What I do not receive well are products that make wildly false claims in order to promote themselves. Say "this format will be good," not "this format will be 25% better than H.264." The former makes sense, the latter is complete marketing nonsense and I reserve every right to mock it ruthlessly until sufficient proof is given.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 14th September 2008 at 09:29.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote