View Single Post
Old 10th March 2007, 16:06   #198  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Implemented a major speed-up for reading MPEG-1/2 and AVC/h.264 tracks from MPEG program streams.
I can gladly confirm that the Equilibrium H.264 EVO -> MKV muxing performance was greatly improved!

However, it still fails in the middle of the movie. I've done some further checks and attached you'll find a screenshot of the memory consumption during Equilibrium muxing. You'll notice two things:

(1) The memory consumption increases and decreases in time intervals of different length.
(2) The bottom line of the memory consumption grows over time.

So because of (2) I think there is a memory leak somewhere in mkvmerge. I'm not sure, though, whether the memory leak is really the main problem. It's a problem, but not the only one. From what I can see, Equilibrium has some INSANE GOP distances. It seems to me that mkvmerge is reading one complete GOP into RAM and only then writes it to harddisk. Usually that's a nice approach, but with Equilibrium the GOP distances are so big that it's getting dangerous. I've seen memory consumption go to >500MB with a large GOP in Equilibrium - and that's just in the beginning of the movie. There may be even bigger GOPs later in the movie. Another thing I noticed is that the GUI seems to updated only once every time when a GOP was fully read in. That would explain why the GUI is so much less responsive when muxing Equilibrium compared to other movies, because with Equilibrium the GOP distances are so much longer than with any other movie I've ever seen...
Attached Images