View Single Post
Old 19th May 2004, 20:39   #436  |  Link
Tantulus

Ursamtl:
Kempfand has a "true ambiphonics" with ambisonics for the surround. I found this method to truely broaden the sound with depth added by the rear speakers. The only problem is getting the front speakers to form a 10 degree angle. I rewired my front speakers to acheive this angle and I was impressed. However, it's a nusience to move the speakers when switching from music to movies.

I have experimented with reverb but my inexperience only produced an echoing sound but no ambience. I've thought of using Audtion (formally Cool Edit Pro) and then feeding the file to the bidule. Again, I'm too inexperienced to work out the myriad of settings for the Reverb effect. Short of the ambiphonic method I've found the SAD5.1 method very satisfactory. I can hear solo instruments coming from the center speaker and I can locate sections of a symphonic orchestra. I agree with you that I still don't feel true ambience but I compared some of the bidules with a DVD of a live recording of Beethoven's 9th and I got some ambience but the soundscape wasn't that broad either. Someday, I'd like to sneak into Symphony Hall and record an impulse for convolution but I don't have the equipment.

That said, I'm looking forward to your bidule. Thanks for your contribution.

Scott