View Single Post
Old 19th March 2019, 05:59   #14  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
FranceBB, thank you!
So.
These are examples with your lut "PQ_to_HLG.cube".
I get a similar result only with the help of a long selection of curves in the plugin "SmoothCurve". Good work.
Thanks, I tried to tweak things correctly.

Update: Added Slog3 to BT709 LUT

Whenever I work for the News channel or for our Sport channel, I receive footages shot normally, but whenever I work on TV Series, I receive footages shot in Slog3 and I always have to bring them to BT709 to encode everything in a standard old-fashioned FULL HD SDR.
I'm gonna share with you my Slog3 to BT709 LUT as well.

Slog3 first, BT709 second:

Some people may think that it's ok-ish, but slightly dark on some low-light scenes, but actually this is because I added a knee to the curve and there's a reason for that: trying to stay in the Limited Tv Range avoiding clipping.
Let's take a look at this example here with a strong light coming from behind.
Raw footage in Slog3:

If I try to apply a transformation without using a knee, the white level gets too high and I get out of legal range, therefore everything over 235 gets clipped out:

By adding a knee, however, I manage to get thinks right in 16-235 without the need to clip so many details out:

If you take a look at the curve of the transformation you can see how the unclipped one gets so high that it almost looks like a function that reaches a vertical asymptote:

While the knee manages to smooth things out and generates a proper curve:

Last edited by FranceBB; 24th March 2019 at 05:31.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote