Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 6th October 2013, 13:03   #100  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

I will add issues to the Wiki to start with, and most probably I should also add a main README.md to the GitHub project so that visitors there get some more information other than the dump of a repository.

Right now I'm still looking at exception usage in Avisynth, continuously doing smaller cleanups and refactorings. I've also started to add Gavino's scripting extensions to Avisynth+, but I had to ask him because GScript and Avisynth have slightly different licensing terms. Fortunately he is completely okay with the integration (I've just received reply), so I can continue with that. I've also spent some time since the last release inspecting alternatives to the current BitBlt, so let us hope that it will result in a slight performance improvement. If there will be any, it won't be large, but at least it will be uniform (not specific to certain plugins or scripts).

Adding good threading is on the top of my wish-list too, and I am trying to find ways. As of right now there are parts of the Avisynth code involved which I did not investigate fully yet (mostly related to caching), so first I need to figure that part out completely.

x64 support is also a goal, but certianly not for the near-future. As many of you have said, the greatest obstacle here are the pieces of inline asm. I must admit that I'm not very versed in x86 asm, so here too I will be counting on your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPascal7 View Post
1. What is the reason to keep compatibility with 2005 runtime when you can target XP with 2008/10/11 just fine (11 might be having some problems in wine though)?
It is more like, there is no reason to drop its support yet. Right now the most I could use from later VS versions is support for the C++11 STL (shared/unique_ptr, atomic, threading), but these are only available in VS2012, so that would be too limiting. This is also the reason I'm considering adding Boost as a dependency, to not have to rely on VS2012 yet still be able to make use of these libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboPascal7 View Post
2. What exactly breaks AvsPmod compatibility? This problem is really important since it renders the project useless for a lot of people.
To be able to specify autoload directories in scripts, I had to delay autoloading plugins to the latest point possible. (As a comparison, upstream Avisynth autoloads plugins as soon as the ScriptingEnvironment is initialized, way before any script is loaded.) The result is that, in Avisynth+, the list of plugin functions is not available until a script has been loaded, so for now I have removed exporting special variables like $PluginFunctions$, $Plugin!...!Param$ and $InternalFunctions$, because they didn't make too much sense with the modifications in place. I suspect AvsPmod tries to read these, which is where the conflict comes from.

The best way to solve this would be to (both needed)
- Make AvsPmod only read these variables once a script has been loaded (so that autoload directories that were specified in the script can be taken into account)
- and add the ability to Avisynth+ to force autoloading from the standard directories (to faciliate writing new scripts). This is easy to accomplish without extending the binary interface.

The above two points require modifications to both Avisynth+ and AvsPmod.

Last edited by ultim; 6th October 2013 at 13:11.