View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2017, 00:21   #1  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

MadVR HDR oddity with exclusive mode?

Hello!

I'm lucky enough to have an nVidia GTX 1080 and an LG OLED55B6-P display supporting HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

Using the latest Windows 10 Creator's Update, MadVR 0.91.11 in MPC-HC, and latest LAV filters, I can decode 10 bit HDR HEVC in hardware, and HDR content does display properly on this monitor when I'm in windowed mode. When I switch to fullscreen it does not display correctly. Specifically the "HDR" indicator on the display disappears and the colors look wrong.

I determined this was because in full screen exclusive mode I'm sending 10 bit to the display, whereas the desktop is standard 8 bit. Disabling full screen exclusive seems to work right.

However, this seems totally wrong!!! HDR10 is 10 bit.. right? So, I'd expect the normal 8 bit desktop to look wrong, and full screen exclusive using 10 bit to look correct!

What's happening here? The image looks nice but I do see some banding. Maybe this is related to the fact that it's 8 bit instead of 10? Or maybe that's just how my sample clips are encoded. Not sure...
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote