View Single Post
Old 15th October 2009, 23:56   #10133  |  Link
mark0077

Yes, but the xonar audio drivers sync up with windows control panel so I have both set to 5.1 surround. Of course my drivers know when it gets the back channel output from mpc-hc, or ffdshow, or whatever it is, that I don't have back channels, so it goes ahead and does its fancy upmixing so I do hear output on my sides, but not perfectly as I said, I get some bleeding because of the upmixing algorithm used.

When mpc-hc or ffdshow says its outputting to back channels, thats exactly what they do, output to back channels. Its upto your card how it interprets this. I think the xonar is doing a better job than the realtek here to be honest, ie not just directly mapping the back to the sides, its upmixing correctly.

Unfortunately the side effect of course is the channel bleeding, and you not noticing the problem. If your drivers get sent audio explicitly set for back, why should they ever just blindly send that to your side channels anyways. This is what mpc-hc and ffdshow are doing in both of our cases, just sending to our backs when in 5.1 config.

Last edited by mark0077; 16th October 2009 at 00:06.