View Single Post
Old 9th November 2013, 13:50   #1  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

RE: "MT" vs. "sorathread()" vs. "ThreadRequest()" vs. etc.

---------- Too long, didn't read? ----------
What's your poison? And why?

EDIT1:
Those of you that use MP_Pipeline, do you....

A) Use x86 only?
B) Use x64 only?
C) use BOTH x86 + x64?

---------- ----------

So, I've been browsing this site for a long time. Like a year before I created an account.

And since then, I began to see the nature of successful feedback and queries.

I see a lot of threads with a post or two that stipulate different conditions, in which, SetMT (be it Set's MT Avisynth, or other) or Sora's Multi-Process, Multi-Threaded pluging or even the "ThreadRequest" plugin that has no official author, yet, has its own thread, supposedly maintained, by a user of the plugin.

A lot of the "MultiThreaded" functionality seems highly experimental and not to be taken seriously as single-threaded plugins.

Yet, the hypothesis remains: What do (most) people find more effective for their needs?

I expect answer based on what they use and what they are comfortable with.

I would love feedback if they tried multiple variations (SetMT, Sorathread, ThreadRequest, etc) before settling on a single plugin for their multi-core needs.

While the notion that muti-core doesn't always equal "exact multiple cores", I am aware that many machines will treat dual-core with "HyperThreading" as though if it were 4 cores.

I am not experienced in this manner of... categorization.
Or even why this type of information would be deemed worthy to know.
I'm not a developer and not find this information useful on its most basic levels, but I am meant to understand that it does yield some level of interpretation not to be overlooked, even on the most "noobish" levels.

So, I would like to know how most people handle their...

MultiThreaded needs:

SetMT? (SEt's MT dynamic library?)
Sora's MT? (sorasmserver.exe/sorasmsource.dll/sorathread.dll)
ThreadRequest? (ThreadRequest.dll)
RequestLinear? (TIVTC.dll)
Other? (please, please, specify which works best for you)

I understand different Avisynth installations work differently for people with different needs.

For instance, I work solely on the principle what IanB updates Avisynth to 2.6 Alpha (X), and that SEt, updates Avisynth.dll to be MT compatible to 2.6 Alpha (X).

Whether or not the two are exactly the same version at the time of release is not always the same matter (in reference to any future updates where SEt is not available for immediate release of any update from IanB, so forth and so forth).

However, since it is known, IanB's AVS 2.6a4 is seen as up-to-date with SEt's MT version, I would be willing to take that into consideration.

That is, if anyone with feedback is willing to stipulate the nature of their environment for the most successful "Multithreaded" environment.

I've tested: SetMT, ThreadRequest, RequestLinear, and MP_Pipeline and all have, more or less, equally produced similar results.

Neither have yielded substantial results to merit the use of one over the other.

AviSynth version: 2.5.8
then
AviSynth version: IanB's 2.6.0a5
then
AviSynth version: SEt's 2.6 MT (2013.09.28)

----

I use mostly ThreadRequest() for my MT needs.
I find no discernible difference between TR and any other mode of Multithreading.

----
There's three machines I use (2 with Intel QuckSynch, 1 with Nvidia CUDA), and, no matter the settings, each produce, relatively, the same speed performance.

-----

I know for "ThreadRequest()", there is no official thread where the developer of the plugin participates (I think, Japanese developer), but I would like to know who still uses it and if anyone has done any updates to it (if at all relevant).

The same goes for any other method for MultiThreading.

------

What's your poison? And why?

EDIT1:
------ MP_Pipeline -----

I also understand with MP_Pipeline, you can distinguish between x86 and x64 for Avisynth usage.
I only ever use x86, as after reading so many concerns with x64, I do not find the simplest functions to be that useful to experiment with x64.

Those of you that use MP_Pipeline, do you....

A) Use x86 only?
B) Use x64 only?
C) use BOTH x86 + x64?

Last edited by Sparktank; 9th November 2013 at 14:49. Reason: EDIT1: MP_Pipeline, 86/64?
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote