View Single Post
Old 29th July 2015, 08:37   #465  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, I have encoded the demo file at 59.94fps (and level h264 4.0, but that should not be necessary).

You can download it here: test 3D-FS 59.94p.mkv. (The FTP server of VideoHelp is currently down, and I can't upload the file to the PgcEdit/BD3D2MK3D home, so I had to use a file sharing service. I've tried infinit, but it's the first time that I use that free service. Please let me know if you have trouble downloading the file.)

Note that I have used the ConvertFPS avisynth filter (in "Blend mode") to change the frame rate. It's not the telecine method. It might give better results, because it doersn't create interlaced video, but it has also some limits. The frames are blended together to create new frames when necessary. The quality of the resulting video is lower than the original, and if you play the video frame by frame you'll see the blended images, but I suppose it's the best way to obtain the (almost) 60p frame rate. Read the ConvertFPS doc. It explains the advantages and drawbacks of the technique, and the two modes of operation. You may also want to try the filter in Switch mode and experiment with the zone and vbi parameters.

Yesterday, when I've searched the best method to convert the frame rate of a clip, I found a doc (I can't find the site any more) explaining that the ConvertFPS avisynth filter works in the same way than the commercial hardware DLP frame rate Converters. So, this solution should give approximately the same result than the Huhushop DLP 3D Converter you have found on the Amazon site. I don't know if the avisynth software method is better or worse than the hardware, but it is certainly cheaper!

Another advantage of the ConvertFPS method is that it can theoretically convert to any frame rate without the sync problems with the audio and subtitles. Therefore, it should be possible to convert to exactly 60fps. But that will probably introduce even more blur and IMO, if 59.94fps works fine, it is preferable to use that rate.

If the clip demo can be played with your hardware, I'll add an option to convert to 29.97/59.94 fps in BD3D2MK3D. (There is a lot of things to change, but that should not be too difficult.) If it cannot support it, I will do a conversion to exactly 60fps for you to try.

I wonder if your hardware (and, in general, the DLP projectors) can support Half SBS and Half T&B as well as Frame Sequential. If I understand correctly how they work, they do NOT convert the input video stream to 3D. It's the software player that is supposed to do that, and send a frame sequential stream to the projector anyway, like a BD player (but at a different frame rate). Right? In that case, there is no reason to limit the conversion of the frame rate to the Frame Sequential 3D mode only, and I may need to implement the same option for SBS and T&B as well. I would like to know the answer to that question before beginning to modify the BD3D2MK3D code...

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th July 2015 at 08:48.