View Single Post
Old 10th November 2020, 15:51   #31  |  Link
Troc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Oh dear
yet another thread where the initiator has far less competences than his ambitions...
I'm fully aware of this fact and have been open about my lacking abilities. Everyone needs to start somewhere, right?
Quote:
Cutey Honey was a rather beloved anime and it was once that the internet was full of all kind of "restorations", which (now that you provided a copy of the DVD they probably originated)
I haven't seen previous restoration attempts. Even if I had, I would start with a clean slate from as close to original source as I can reasonably get, which in this case is the DVD I got for a reasonable price of 40 bucks.

Quote:
Not to mention the hideous 6 lines of double subtitles (Japanese and Italian or Spanish), covering half of the frame
Not going to be a problem for me, I know how to make MKVs. If I can get links for the SRTs somewhere, that is. The DVD only contains English subtitles.
Quote:
and the final aggressive recompression that killed all the "restoration work" they did (think only of blocking and mosquito noise).
I've also learned a lot about filetypes and compressions and intend to keep learning. I won't just output to .AVI at default settings, I intend to make a quality restoration.

Quote:
If the "restoration" was just a simple choice of filters and some tweaks (one-fits-all scheme), don't you think it was this obvious also for the producers to use them?
You would think that. I however collect DVDs and so many have blatant and easy to fix issues (such as the movie not being in frame, tilted by a few degrees, or a furious rainbow/checkerboard pattern on the left side of the frame) that I have come to think that many studios simply do not care. Most normies will just see "movie on dvd", plop it into a TV and watch 5 meters away. If they cared, they could've fixed a lot of problems but decided not to put in the effort.

Quote:
In one thing you were right - proper restorations are done frame by frame, but without loosing the big picture.
I'm going to do that to the OP, after some denoising. Not to the entire series though, since that would be a forever project instead of a long project.

Quote:
Anyway, if you do not consider yourself reading some documentation, you may search a bit the forum, read here a bit, there another bit, one third of all the posts written in the last decade was concerned only with anime
I've come to know that many communities have in their lifetime built routine answers that are faster, and more precise than going forum surfing. I have done a lot of surfing and this forum in particular is very interesting. I made the post since I thought it'd be nice to know early on if I'm going entirely down the gutter from the getgo. Anime community is very large. The amount of technology enthusiasts who are also anime fans is impressive.

Quote:
Otherwise, asking StainlessS or videoh for help, it's like they that did the restoring not you.
That's why I was asking for opinions on what would be fit for purpose and after that how to use a central tool. I genuinely hadn't figured it out. At no point did I ask either of these gentlemen to do the work for me. Unless you count consultation as the bulk of the work?
I don't meant to be mean or super confrontational, I just had some disagreements with you there. Let's get along, shall we?
Troc is offline   Reply With Quote